Skip to content

What is Zusanli?

Zusanli is an acupoint running along the stomach meridian. If there is an interruption in this meridian it can cause an imbalance that results in discomfort, pain, and illness and induce abdominal distention, vomiting, indigestion, constipation, diarrhea, and acute appendicitis.

Most acupuncture therapy involves stimulating numerous points along the body, however those who suffer from certain stomach issues may find one of these acupoints to be particularly beneficial. It’s called zusanli, and it’s located about four-finger widths below the bottom of the knee, towards the outside of the shin. While many acupuncturists prefer to perform more complex treatments, stimulation of this point, even on its own, can mean profound improvements on quality of life.

According to Ma Danyang, a famous Daoist known for his work with acupuncture, zusanli is one of the 12 most important acupoints on the body, and perhaps the most critical when dealing with issues of the stomach. Needling this point can help stop disease, and restore vitality in some cases, with a single 10- to 20-minute treatment.

Perhaps the most convincing argument for the importance of zusanli acupuncture is just how crucial our stomach is to our overall health. The lining of the gut is the core of the immune system, so when the stomach’s not working properly, we put ourselves at risk for viruses and bacteria. The stomach also produces 95% of the body’s serotonin. The brain produces the other 5%, meaning the brain and stomach are in constant contact. If our stomachs are in distress, it alerts the brain to feel stress, which causes a host of other negative impacts on the body.

If you suffer with any of the stomach issues listed above, consult with a qualified acupuncturist. Treatment of the zusanli acupoint may be able to bring you some relief, as well as lead you on a path towards better health. Schedule an acupuncture appointment today!

Dreamclinic offers convenient anytime online scheduling. Click to schedule, or call 206-267-0863.